Importance of Hydration
The human body needs water to survive. Every organ and cell needs to stay hydrated in order for the body to function at its best. Up to 60% of the adult body is made up of water. It is used as the base building material in cells and performs a number of other benefits within our bodies. Age, weight, and gender determine the amount of water you need to drink during the day; athletes may need to drink more water because they lose more fluids during physical activities.
How Do You Know if You Need Water?
A good way to determine if you need to drink more water is to check the color of your urine. The darker your urine is, the more water you need to drink. If your urine is light or has no color, then you are well hydrated. Other signs of dehydration include fatigue, dry mouth, headache, and dizziness.
Reasons for Staying Hydrated
The importance of hydration is essential not only for physical health, but for mental health as well. There is an extensive list of benefits to drinking plenty of water, here are some of the most discussed topics.
- Increase in Energy and Improved Productivity - Dehydration can cause fatigue and significantly reduce brain function. If you're feeling like your cognitive skills aren't at their usual speed, it may be time to grab some water.
- Improved Physical Performance - Physical activity causes your body to lose a lot of fluids. Staying hydrated before, during, and after exercise can make your workout feel better. Water can keep your performance up while exercising and prevent fatigue after.
- Weight Loss - Often times when you feel hungry, it may be because your body simply needs water. Drinking water will not satisfy hunger. It is a way to control the calories consumed day to day. The next time you feel hungry, try drinking water first and it may surprise you.
- Mood Booster - When your body is hydrated, it's performing its best which helps put you in a good mood. If you notice yourself slipping into a negative mood, drinking water can help.
- Headache Prevention - Headaches are often due to dehydration and can be relieved by drinking water. It's important to stay hydrated to avoid headaches and migraines, particularly if you are prone to getting them.
Some people struggle to drink water because they don't like the taste. Drinking something that tastes like nothing can get boring. There are ways to improve water such as adding fruit, lemon is common, cucumber, or mint. Try spicing things up to stay hydrated!